Deworming removes internal worms that have infected your pet. Internal worms can enter your pet's body through their skin, contact with an infected animal, or when they consume worm larvae. Some pets with internal parasite infections aren't symptomatic until the later stage of their infection. Regular deworming is recommended, even when you don't suspect an infection.
Which internal parasites can infect my pet?
Some internal parasites aren't visible when examining your pet's feces. Kittens and puppies are especially susceptible to internal parasites because they're often passed on from their mother. Intestinal parasites can even be passed on from your pet to family members. (Children, the elderly, pregnant women, and immunocompromised people are at the highest risk.) Signs of an infection in your pet include diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, and poor skin condition. Possible culprits of these infections include:
When should my pet be dewormed?
Pets should be dewormed at least twice a year. From 2 to 12-weeks-old, puppies and kittens should be dewormed biweekly. Some pets who live in high-exposure areas or have frequent contact with humans with a high risk of zoonotic infections should be dewormed more frequently.
How is the medication administered?
Deworming medication can be administered via a tablet or injection. Tablets can be disguised in your pet's food or treats, ensuring they ingest the pills. The medication only harms internal parasites without causing adverse effects for your pet. It's not uncommon for your pet to vomit or have worms in their stools for the first few days after they've taken their dosage. However, if you notice this persists longer, please contact us at 905-877-2258.